Auditioning Yarns for Novus Jacket!

I've been getting questions about choosing yarns for Novus Jacket and it seemed like a good idea to write y'all a little blurb on how I decide on yarns for sweaters!
Hint: It's all about yarn shopping (and then swatching)!

I call it holding yarn auditions.... when I'm out and about yarns call to me,  in fact sometimes they even sing! When this happens I HAVE to take them home.... and then I end up with a pile of single skeins of yarn to play with, and never enough for a sweater!  This turns out to be a good thing. I can swatch and design with a yarn and then if I know it is right I will order up as much as I need. Harrisville Turbine sang to me at Rhinebeck, a single skein came home with me and that is how it got chosen for my Novus Jacket.
Novus is easy to swatch for! Just cast on a sleeve for the size you are making and knit at least 6 inches of it. Then take that "swatch" and block it... do you like the fabric? Did you get gauge? If the answer is yes then you can put that swatch back on the needles and keep knitting. If you didn't then you can play around with different needle sizes (go up in ndl size if you need less sts per inch, and down in ndl size if you need more sts per inch) and see if you get gauge AND confirm you like the fabric.

You'll find there is a big decision to make with Novus... do you want a sweater that has a bit of drape or one that is more structured ? The yarn you choose will dictate this, and swatching will give you an idea of how it will behave. The softer the yarn and air in between the sts, the more drape it will have. Do keep in mind that those softer yarns are not going to wear as well. I've also seen people knitting Novus with two strands held together which is totally intriguing!

I spent some time swatching a few different yarns this week and came up with some great options for Novus:

Cloudborn Bulky, Fibre Company Tundra, and Dragonfly Fiber's Super Traveler make a dreamy loose fabric and will give your Novus more drape.
DragonFly Fiber's Super Traveler in Winter Woods
Look at Jan's Novus.. she used Fibre Company Tundra and adjusted the pattern to make it a little longer! (I want to steal her sweater... but instead I ordered some Tundra to make one of my own!)

Kitt used Cloudborn  Fibers Superwash Merino Bulky, and got a great result as well! I love how you can look at projects and get an idea of how a yarn will behave.

Clara's new Cormo 3.0, I got a sample at her retreat, is kinda sorta perfect for Novus, it is soft, but creates a somewhat stiff fabric! (I think she is updating her site with more soon). (I hope!)
Brooklyn Tweed Quarry is similar to Harrisville Turbine in it's woolly qualities, but it isn't quite as heavy so once you achieve gauge with it you'll find the fabric has more air in between the stitches making it flow a bit more in the sweater fabric.
Now, do you see why I have been buying single skeins of bulky weight yarns? Auditions are fun! And whatever doesn't become part of a Novus can always turn into the world's best cowl, right? It is easy to invest in single skeins until you know what will make the PERFECT Novus Jacket for you!

Oh, and last week's giveaway winner?... CONGRATS Amy (aka Hudson Valley Knits!), get in touch with your address so I can send you your awesome Triplex kit!

So, what yarns are you thinking of auditioning for Novus Jacket? I know there are more out there to choose from!!! Ask questions, I'm happy to help you!  We've also got a KAL going in my Ravelry group and help is just a post away!

Comments

  1. I am going to audition Spirit Trail Fiberworks Vesta for Novus Jacket. I have 1,200 yards in my stash and will adjust needle size and stitch count to make this lovely yarn work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this blog post! So want to knit this one and am going stash diving to see if I have anything but doubt it. If I purchase I think I am going to with the Dragonfly Fibers Super Traveler in Starry Night.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I got my Clara yarn today. I'm swatting on 11 and 13 to see what happens. it's gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  4. In your post, It was really good and bright effort and presentation of your script about the fashionable trends and style. This is incredible and remarkable post at all above. Star Lord Vest

    ReplyDelete
  5. i like your post. it is easy to get this latest trend jacket. check this out
    Baby Driver Mens Ansel Elgort Jacket

    ReplyDelete
  6. A really great jute embroidery i see this on page, i really appreciated. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The accompanying thing you have to do is to perceive what you have to write about. It is continually endorsed that you write about something you are enthusiastic about. Thusly, you will never miss the mark on information to post on your blog. For example, in case you are so captivated via planes, you can blog about different aircraft and their capabilities. Write about your interests. Blogging should not be a job anyway a hobby; something you like doing. If you acknowledge it as a position, you may end up being frustrated. Thedailymint Blog

    ReplyDelete
  8. The way you shared things is really good! I really like this!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment